When it comes to Halloween, why do pumpkins get to have all of the fun? We decided to skip the traditional jack-o-lantern and show pineapples some love. Voila: we give you the Pine-O-Lantern.
how to make your own Pine-O-Lantern
1. Find a large pineapple at your local grocery store. The bigger the better! Pro tip: find one that's semi-ripe (easier to hollow out).
2. Cut off the top, just like you would with a pumpkin.
3. Hollow it out. This is the tricky part. We carefully cut around the circumference of the pineapple meat, using a pairing knife (large knives won't fit), and then ran the knife 3 times along the diameter of the pineapple meet, creating 5 chunks, or a star shape. Once you pull out the first chunk of pineapple, detaching it from the bottom with a spoon, the rest will be easy to pull out.
4. Make sure the bottom of the pineapple is smooth and even so your candle will have something stable to rest on.
5. Draw, then cut out its face.
By now, you may or may not have pineapple juice all over the place...
Have a happy Tropical Halloween!