Pump Aid focuses on bringing clean drinking water and sanitary living conditions to some of the poorest parts of the world. The lack of clean drinking water is a devastating, major global crisis.
650 million people across the world live without access to clean water. That equates to 1 in every 10 people worldwide, or twice the population of the United States.
Something as simple as having clean water can change people's lives:
- In Africa alone, women spend 40 billion hours a year collecting contaminated water.
2. Women and Girls
- Women are responsible for 72% of the water collected in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Women are locked in the cycle of poverty caused by spending their days collecting water.
- Inadequate access to private, hygienic sanitation facilities brings shame and physical discomfort to women.
- It's common for women to wait until the end of the day to use the restroom.
- Girls drop out of school during menstruation.
- Water-born diseases kill more people every year than violence, including war.
- 43% of these deaths are in children under 5 years old.
We want to do everything we can to help end this global crisis and help provide clean water. For this reason, every liter of Waiakea that you purchase donates 1 week's supply of clean water to those in need. All this is made possible by our partner, Pump Aid, and you.
In 2017, Waiakea, together with Pump Aid, pledged 245,892,360 liters to communities in need! It's been an amazing year and we definitely want to beat out this number for 2018!