SOURCE TO WAREHOUSE
Waiakea's logistics team has made big strides in an effort to reduce waste and carbon emissions in its daily operations.
When it comes to sustainability, one of the biggest obstacles faced by the freight industry is the amount of empty miles traveled by its fleets. In fact, about 35% of total miles traveled are empty - meaning they arrive with a full truckload, and after unloading, travel back empty.
According to the EPA, medium and heavy-duty truck freight account for over 436 million metric tons of CO2 emissions per year. Today, 76 million metric tons of CO2 equivalent emissions are the result of empty miles.
By implementing a sophisticated scheduling technology, Waiakea is able to bundle loads with other manufactures, reducing empty miles traveled by our logistics fleet from the industry standard of 35% to a low 19%.
This yields a significant reduction in CO2 emissions by 45%.
If the whole industry is able to reach this level of efficiency, it would reduce CO2 emissions by 34 million metric tons! To put that into perspective, the 34 million metric ton reduction is about the same as:
- Taking 7.2 million passenger vehicles off the roads for a year
- Planting 559 million tree seedlings that grow for 10 years
- 1.5 billion trash bags recycled instead of landfilled
The same approach is used for shipping, booking boats that would otherwise be returning to the mainland empty.
WAREHOUSE TO YOUR DOOR
Once Waiakea leaves our warehouse and is transported to your home, we ensure to offset 100% of carbon emissions related to delivery. How does it work? For every tonne of CO2 produced in transportation, an equivalent amount of CO2 is saved by a verified emission reduction project. Some examples include:
- Reforestation Projects around the world
- Not only do trees absorb CO2, but they also control flooding and erosion, protect water sources, replenish soil with critical nutrients needed for farming, and create habitable ecosystems for animals.
- Replace open biomass fires with cookstoves
- 3 billion people cook over open fires. Burning wood accelerates the effects of climate change and encourages deforestation through the timber trade.
- Restoration of natural grasslands
- Grasslands, like trees, are extremely efficient and necessary for storing carbon dioxide.
BEYOND LOGISTICS: 100% CARBON NEUTRAL
Since its inception, Waiakea has worked diligently with The CarbonNeutral® company and Ecometrica, two of the world’s leading emissions consultants, to measure and reduce the environmental impact of both its business, and its product, to net zero.
After analysis was done of the significant environmental initiatives already in place for Waiakea, all the emissions relating to the company and the production of Waiakea were quantified and then further reduced to net zero through a variety of additional environmental reforms and regional reforestation programs.
Carbon neutrality is more than just buying carbon credits - it's an active approach to sequestering the carbon in our environment. We at Waiakea believe "business as usual" is no longer acceptable. We hope to set a new standard in the greater CPG and beverage industry by leading the way through innovation and the fast adoption and investment in industry-changing technology.
With each apparel item purchased, Waiakea plants 5 trees to aid in the restoration of healthy forests in Haiti, Madagascar, Ethiopia, and Nepal. Shop apparel here.